Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Where Kara Joins the Community Orchestra...

 
(I guess we can thank the randomness of the internet and wikipedia for an anatomy lesson of the cello in German--)

Well.  As I wrote in my list of things I'd like to do someday, I've been wanting to play with an orchestra again--

And so I decided to not let it wait any longer- I know that after January it won't get any easier, what with having a brand new baby and all...

I auditioned a few weeks ago actually... but they were right about to have a concert at that point, and so I joined in and started rehearsals for the next concert (Christmas... woohoo!) just last week--  I'm happy to have the opportunity.

For now I'm happily bringing up the rear of the very talented cello section-- and I have quite a bit of practicing to do to get un-rustified....  But it's still there somewhere...I hope.  (I have put the boys to sleep to a bit of lullaby-ing on the cello some nights.... but I'm not sure how much that counts for practice...)

Anyway.  What I was thinking about is how it's fun to see the different personalities in a community orchestra- I don't know if you know what I mean?
It's this group of a bunch of wildly different people... In our particular group I've noticed a few interesting characters already--

First--the conductor-- tonight I noticed holes in his shoes and 3 buttons missing from his suit jacket- two from the sleeve, as well as one of the front buttons.. all gone, maybe at times sort of vaguely missed by the owner, but nobody cares-- that is dedication, I decided.

The older gentleman playing viola to my right was wearing a t-shirt with a saying that had to do with mountain biking-
something that went like,
"you could ride off a cliff and DIE."
"you could crash and break your legs and be left for wild animals to devour-- and DIE"
"or you could stay home and fall off the couch and DIE"

(he must be maybe 67 or so? but very spry-- and after thinking about it, I seemed to remember just maybe actually seeing him around town riding a bike....either way, I don't think his shirt was just for fun-- I think he means it and that is Awesome.   I will add to my list of things to do-- to still ride my bike when I'm old--)

Then there's the phenomenal musician who obviously knows it... but seems to be a nice person anyway.

Of course a few jokesters in the percussion section-- is that just a pre-requisite?  It just has to be, at least in every group I've ever played with..

I debate whether I should have auditioned on trombone--  they seem like a right jazzy sort of group--

There's also  "Handsome young guy violinist who probably got made fun of at some point in life for not being good at sports, but has plenty of girls in love with him now so it doesn't bother him",

and "Old guy that has been so dedicated to his music that he never got married, and maybe is sort of grumpy about things in general-- but is still so dedicated to the music.."

and plenty of other personalities I haven't yet noticed-- but it's always intriguing to me to see how much personality can come out just in a little community orchestra rehearsal...

It's great to be part of it.

I suppose for now I will fill in the spot of  'mom who gave up her consistent practicing for too long of a time...but is trying to get back into it before it's too late...'





Also, on another note-- If you're sick of my random ramblings and just want cute pictures of Elijah and Henry, I apologize for the lack there-of so far.... but I'm sure by the end of this blog there will be plenty of little boy pictures.  So hang in there. 





3 comments:

  1. Kara,
    You never cease to amaze me. I'm am truly impressed by all that you do... while you're pregnant none the less. Please will you send some of that productivity my way? You are so incredibly talented. Thanks for sharing it. (oh and I just bearly got back to blogging, so I missed the announcement... CONGRATS on your baby! How exciting!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.. I guess that's the tricky part of blogs, because I don't blog about all my UN-productiveness...
    Maybe I should-- to make sure I'm presenting an honest picture here. But then everyone might be very bored...
    Thanks for the encouragement anyways!! You are the awesome one.
    And. sorry we didn't tell you guys earlier.. we're such slackers on that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you knew how to play the cello or that you had ever been in an orchestra. Geez, you are one talented lady. I'm impressed that you are jumping back into it. What a great way to be involved, too.

    ReplyDelete